My Reading List Nowadays........

I'm in a little bit of a different phase of life with my reading right now, as I'm continuing research and in the writing process of my dissertation!  One of the main themes that I am investigating is the concept of psychological safety and other topics related to social neuroscience.  This topics interests me a lot, so I thought I would share a couple of things I have learned with you!


1 ~ Did you know that the brain treats social pain much the same as it does physical pain?  What have I learned from this?  The next time you have a conversation with a friend or a coworker, be careful with your words and intention.  You have a choice in how your conversations can go ~ you can leave that person feeling lifted up! ~ Please make this your choice!  Our words have POWER.  Leave others feeling good about themselves ~ let that be our goal!

Our conversations with people matter!  People matter!  Many times, as friends and/or coworkers, we have a tendency to lean towards things that might escalate conflict in stressful times, rather than deflate that big, ugly balloon of stress!  I found a quote recently in my research that I just l-o-v-e!  Here it is:  "We have the opportunity many times a day, every, day, to be the one who listens to others, curious rather than certain.  But the greatest benefit of all is that listening moves us closer."  (Margaret Wheatley)  What have I learned from this quote the most?  First, don't assign negative intentions to people during conversations.  I believe people are good.  Don't lose sight of that.  Believe that people have the best of intentions when speaking to them.  Second, listening is key.  Listening helps people feel valued and appreciated.  Wouldn't you love to be heard?

2 ~ We all need a healthy balance of things in our life to help fuel our brains for happy days!  This is known as the "Healthy Mind Platter," (David Rock).  We're all aware of how unhealthy eating habits can affect our health, but many don't consider how unhealthy mind habits can affect our mental health!  Neglecting self-care can lead to things, like exhaustion, stress, burn-out, feelings of being overwhelmed, and much more.  Take care of yourself, people!  Your relationships will improve, along with productivity, and overall happiness!  Here are the things to consider keeping in balance when working toward a healthy mind platter:




  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dog's Life

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things